Skip to content
May 29, 2008 / Abe Pralle

Wiidiculous

So I’m working on porting Plasmacore to the Wii. It’ll be used first in RiverMan Media’s WiiWare game MadStone. Anyways, I got stuck for 3 days on a heinous bug.

On the PC folder emulating the DVD drive, all content has to be stored in a folder “content2” or “content3” etc. – the number is arbitrary. Everything was working at first but then as soon as I changed and recompiled the Slag program the Wii devkit would freak out. Basically it would load some files, but other ones would cause it to freeze for around 10 seconds and then come up with a “Fatal Error” of some kind. I eventually moved all the files to a new folder – e.g. “content4” instead of “content3”. Everything would work fine – UNTIL I edited the program and then it would just stop working. It was the strangest thing, and all my debugging and tracing turned up nothing. WELL… apparently a locked file totally screws up the DVD emulator. So the problem was that each time I changed something I would leave Vim open like I normally do – its hidden swap file was the culprit!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: